6.21.2011

Change




Okay... so it's been a while. A long while. I love to write once I get started, but have a hard time setting myself into that mode. Nothing seems to do it better than stress or turmoil. Maybe it's just change in general.

Change is definitely front and center in my world right now. My husband is retiring from the military, so we're on the road to a totally different lifestyle. We're planning to settle in his hometown of Uniontown, PA. It's a far cry from the hustle and bustle that I'm used to, growing up mostly in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. And... as odd as it would have seemed to me a few years ago, I'm REALLY looking forward to it.

I'm looking forward to it for a few reasons. We're trying to get things rolling to buy a house. I CAN NOT WAIT to have a home of our own. A home that we can paint and decorate the way we want. A home that I can feel like is REALLY ours. Not one that is attached to someone else's... not one that I have no control over who hangs out on the doorstep. I want a home that is comfortable and welcoming to our true friends and family.

Family is one thing that there will be no lack of. My mother-in-law is there, and I'm really looking forward to the girls having better access to her. She's patient and caring without being overindulgent, artistic, intelligent and cultured. I think she will be an excellent influence on the kids AND me.

Mark's oldest daughter, Genesis, is there. She's 13, and is a really good kid. Honor student, musical, into sports and theater... another positive influence for the girls. We've missed out on so much with her up until this point. I'm hoping that we can sort of make up for that now. I know her sisters really look up to her, and can't wait to be part of each others' every day lives. When she's visited us in the past she's shown a lot of interest in art and crafting, so I'm looking forward to sharing some of that. Lord knows I have plenty of passion - not to mention supplies - to go around. ;-)

With those two being highlighted, right next in line is Mark's extended family. There are aunts and uncles, cousins, grandparents and great grandparents around. Some that I know, some that I don't. I was surrounded by all of that as a kid, and hate that mine have missed out on it. I loved nothing better than going to my Grandma Davis' house and hanging out with the kids of my dad's 7 brothers and sisters. There was always something to do, and always some trouble to get into. Whether it was digging in the dirt, riding bikes, playing with Barbies, raiding my grandfather's dirty magazine collection or just sitting on my grandma's swing, there was always at least one partner in crime to share it with. Now that I'm thinking about that, I need to add one more thing to my list of wants when it comes to a house - a screen door that will slam every time the kids run in and out. As much as I'm sure it aggravated all of the adults, that is a sound that evokes some great memories for me. I want my girls to have that too...

So... change is good. The leading up to it is stressful, and there is SO much that I need to focus on before it takes place, but I'm on my way. We have a lot to look forward to. I started this entry intending to vent about things that are probably better to just forget. Positive thoughts are on the menu today, so I'd better start cookin'!

Here's to a great day, and to setting things in motion!

1 comment:

  1. Great blog!! I'm super excited for y'all!! I sooo wish we could be living near family, I grew up around tons of family and extended family as well and my kids don't really know anyone except for me and Scott. God bless you on your new journey and the changes that come with it. Love you and your family always :)

    ReplyDelete